Common Core Phonics Assessments - 1st Grade!

We have four more days until spring break here in Mass. and it is CRUNCH time!

You may remember I blogged all about my Quick-Check Common Core Assessments last July [click HERE to get a refresher]. These were great at the beginning of the year, but my oh my, I don't think I realized how helpful these would be when I came back from my maternity leave! After being out for 5 full months, there was no way I was going to sit down and re-give every large, long assessment we had, but I did NEED to know my kids better. It was really frustrating to not be able to speak to every.little.thing each of my students could do so far into the school year.

So, voila! I pulled out my quick check assessments since they take about a minute to complete and I got a quick snapshot of where my kids were! I was able to identify my struggling students pretty quickly and we started RTI (response to intervention) immediately.

Now that it is nearing the end of the year (9 more weeks!), I wanted to re-assess my intervention group and see how my struggling students were progressing:
 This little one is clearly still mixing up ch and sh!

 In February, this little lady had gotten EVERY middle vowel wrong... Progress!!

 This little guy got these all right this time!

and now the fun part... going through and making notes. This student has progressed in almost every phonics standard we tested back in February. All except the consonant blends... which means we will be working on that!


I find that these quick checks are great to make small groups and keep me focused through the end of the year! As I mentioned in my July post, I have made a quick check assessments for all the Common Core RF standards and every single math standard!

Pin it:

Labels: ,