Close Reading in 1st Grade - Spring Edition

For more information about how I run close in reading in my 1st grade classroom, click HERE and you can read all about it!

A few days ago, I put the finishing touches on my Close Reading - Spring unit and I wanted to share a couple passages from the pack!

I am currently on February vacation - YAHOO - and quite honestly with the mounds and mounds of snow, it doesn't feel like Spring is anywhere close. However, I know in some parts of the country the temps are rising, so I wanted to get this pack out sooner rather than later.

This unit is set up the same way as my Close Reading - Winter pack.

It has a few pages explaining how I do close reading in my classroom as well as a few generic close reading practice sheets that can be used on books/poems/passages of your choice. There are 5 non-fiction passages  and 5 fiction passages, each with vocabulary and comprehension text-dependent questions.

The nonfiction passages include:
Flowers Bloom
Rainbows
Pet Rabbits
Thunder & Lightning
Monarch Butterflies

Sneak Peek:

We use lots of circle, highlighting, and arrows to prove our thinking!

The fiction passages include:
Hippity, Hoppity - a story about a bunny that helps his frog friend overcome a fear
Rainy Day Fun - a story about a boy who grows restless after it has rained for 5 days in a row
Let's Fly a Kite - a fantasy story about a boy and his magical secret
Check out my Bug Collection - a story about 2 girls who learn to love bugs and start a collection
Caterpillar & Bumblebee - a story about 2 insects who deal with caterpillar's change into a butterfly

Sneak Peek:



If you are interested in checking out my close reading packs, click below! Other seasons are in the works, included non-fiction only units and more :)


Pin it:

Labels: , , , , ,