Martin Luther King Jr. Activities

I have a dream...

That these little sweeties will grow up to be kind, respectful, and knowledgeable adults!

Today they gave me a glimpse of their dreams and I was very impressed. We read books about Martin Luther King Jr. all week and my students were genuinely inspired by his story. My favorite book, Martin's Big Words, was read over and over by my students this week.

After we read if for the 3rd time, we created our very own book of "big" words. We defined big words as words that are important in our life.
The little guy on the top right is OBSESSED with all things military. His dad and his dad's dad and his dad's dad's dad all were in the army and he loves to enlighten the class with everything he learns about the military from the history channel. It is pretty adorable. He chose "World War II" as one of his big words and as for the reason it is important to him he wrote:
"because after WWII was finished, the good soldiers went to take the enemy flag down and then they got freedom"
I couldn't help but giggle when he read it me (c'mon it's pretty darn cute!) and he looked at me very seriously and told me "Ms. Moran, this is VERY important to me you know!"

Later in the day, my students created their MLK Jr. crafts and wrote down dreams that they had about making the world a better place. My camera was dying at that point, but I snapped a few close-ups.
 "that the whole entire world is safe and I know that is a law, but I want it to be forever. I have a dream that you should love your enemies because that would be nice. I have a dream because you can help."

"My dream that is no fighting and no guns or swords or cannons or bullets or missiles"

Other students' dreams:
-more shelters to help the homeless
-that all people would give money to the poor
-RECYCLING (about 6 kiddos had this as their dream)

I can tell you they left for the weekend feeling pretty darn hopeful that they can change the world!

You can find both of these activities and MORE in my mini-unit below:

Pin it:

Labels: ,